HomeResourcesEverything you need to know ab...
June 9th 2023

Everything you need to know about the L-2 Visa for L-1 dependents

If you are the spouse or child of an L-1B or L-1B visa holder, you may be able to travel to the U.S. too. In this guide, we provide a comprehensive review of everything you need to know about the L-2 visa category for L-1 dependents.

Nova Credit is a cross-border credit bureau that allows newcomers to apply for U.S. credit cards, phone plans, and loans using their foreign credit history.

We and all of our authors strive to provide you with high-quality content. However, the written content on this website solely represents the views of the authors, unless otherwise specifically cited, but doesn’t represent professional financial or legal advice. As we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the published articles or sources referenced, please use the information at your own discretion.

If you are the spouse or child of an L-1 visa holder, you may be able to move to the U.S. on an L-2 visa. This dependent visa helps to keep families together when one member has to relocate to the United States for work.

We’ll discuss everything you need to know about an L-2 visa, including eligibility requirements, duration, authorization to work and study, and more.

Let’s dive in.

What is the L-2 visa?

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 years are eligible to accompany L-1 visa holders on the L-2 visa. While there are definite advantages to having L-2 status, there are also limitations. You can learn more about the L-1 visa here.

Which dependents are ineligible for an L-2 visa?

Parents, grandparents, and other family members apart from the spouse and children won’t qualify for L-2 status, even in situations where the L-1 visa holder is the primary caretaker or breadwinner. However, they may still be able to visit the U.S. on a B-2 visitor visa where they’re temporarily allowed to stay in the country until their visa expires. 

Required documents for an L-2 visa

Before you may apply for an L-2 visa, you’ll need to submit several documents to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to prove your eligibility. You’ll be provided with a specific list of required documents, most of which will include:

  • Appointment letter for the visa interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy

  • Valid passport for each applicant

  • Completed DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application containing a CEAC Barcode

  • A passport-style photo

  • Your original marriage certificate (for spouses), supported by any other documents proving your marriage to the L-1 visa holder (wedding photo album, wedding invites, wedding ceremony program, etc.)

  • Original birth certificates (for children)

  • A copy of the approved L-1 visa holder’s petition 

  • An employment verification letter from the primary L-1 visa holder’s U.S. employer 

  • The L-1 holder’s passport

  • L-1 holder’s Form I-797

  • Photocopy of the income tax return and pay stubs of the L-1 visa holder

  • Visa application and issuance fees

In some cases, the U.S. consulate may request additional supporting documents that should be submitted within a specified deadline. Because the processing time for an L-2 visa may take as long as 30 days, it’s usually a good idea to file your L-2 visa application at the same time the L-1 visa is being submitted. 

L-2 visa duration and extension 

The validity period of the dependent’s L-2 visa is directly tied to that of the L-1 visa. In the case of dependents of an L-1A visa holder, the L-2 visa holders may stay in the U.S. for up to seven years while dependents of L-1B visa holders may stay in the U.S. for up to five years. The L-2 visa may also be renewed or extended following the renewal or extension of the L-1 visa holder’s status. All this can be done while remaining in the U.S. 

However, if you are outside of the U.S. when your L-2 visa expires, you will need to renew it before you will be allowed to re-enter the country. The processing time may take several weeks depending on how busy the U.S. embassies or consulates are.

Working in the U.S. on an L-2 visa

If you’re an L-2 spouse, you may apply for an Employment Authorization Document as soon as you arrive in the U.S. instead of waiting until once you have found an employer. 

The USCIS will evaluate your EAD application and may request additional evidence. These specified documents will then have to be submitted within deadlines specified by USCIS. Once your application is approved, you can start looking for employment. You’ll also need to visit the Social Security office and apply for a Social Security Number if you don’t already have one. 

Where can L-2 visa holders work?

There are generally no restrictions on where an L-2 visa holder can work in the U.S. as long as they have an approved EAD. This is known as open market employment authorization. An approved EAD is normally valid for two years at a time and can be renewed as long as the candidate remains in the valid L-2 visa status.

Your L-1 visa holder spouse, however, can only work for the U.S.-based employer that filed for their petition. 

Studying in the U.S. on an L-2 visa

Both the L-2 spouse and children may study at a school in the U.S. on a part-time or full-time basis. If you or your child are planning to study in the U.S., you may want to contact the school’s admissions office to inquire whether you can pay in-state tuition fees as an L-2 visa holder. In-state tuition fees are usually much lower than the standard tuition rate.

Change of L-2 visa status 

As an L-2 visa holder, you can apply to adjust your visa status to another visa such as an F-1 student visa, H-1/H-4 work visa or L-1 visa if you meet the specific visa requirements.  If you’re working with an EAD, you may also ask your U.S. employer to sponsor you for an H-1B visa.

What happens if the L-1 visa holder changes their status?

Since the L-2 is a dependent visa, it may not always be easy to switch to a different visa. For example, if the primary visa holder changes their status from L-1 to H-1, then you will also have to switch to the H-4 visa. 

Important Note: If you changed your status from an L-2 to an H-4 visa because the L-1 visa holder changed to H-1 status, the EAD that you received while on L-2 will no longer be valid. Fortunately, it’s possible for H-4 visa holders to get an EAD if they want to work in the U.S. Check out our guide on obtaining your EAD as an H-4 visa holder.

L-2 visa and Green Card

One of the biggest advantages of the L-1 visa category is that it is considered to be “dual intent,” meaning holders can eventually apply to become a permanent resident (Green Card holder). As an L-2 visa holder, you are bound directly to the L-1 visa holder so you too are eligible for a Green Card. If the L-1 visa holder’s permanent residency application is approved, you may also get your Green Card. 

The takeaway

The L-2 visa offers terrific opportunities for spouses and children of L-1 visa holders to live, work and study in the U.S. While it’s important to understand the nuances of this type of dependent visa, it’s equally important to know the steps to be approved for L-2 status so your family can stay together in the U.S. 

Building a new life in the States, however, can be daunting for several other reasons. For instance, you will need a good credit history to apply for U.S. credit cards, loans, apartment rentals, and other essentials to your day-to-day life.

Fortunately, Nova Credit lets you use your foreign credit history from certain countries to apply for several of these essential products and services from our partners. 

This means that you can apply for great credit cards, phone plans, and more using your hard-earned credit history from back home—rather than needing to start from scratch. If you are approved for these products and manage them responsibly, you will start to quickly build a U.S. credit history.

Currently, Nova Credit serves individuals coming from Australia, Brazil, Canada, Dominican Republic, India, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Moved to the U.S. from Australia, Kenya, or the Philippines?

Start your U.S. credit building journey on the right foot

A strong credit score helps you access a lot in the U.S., and a credit card is an easy way to start building your U.S. credit score. Access your free international credit score, and see which U.S. credit cards could be right for you.

More from Nova Credit:More from Nova Credit:

The ultimate guide to the L-1 visa

An overview of the L-1A visa for non-immigrant workers in the United States

A guide to the L-1B Visa for non-immigrant work in the United States

How to get an L-1 Visa extension

L-1 vs. H-1B: Which work visa is right for you?

Everything You Need to Know About the Blanket Visa Petition for L-1 Visas

How to Transition From an L-1 Visa to an H-1B Visa

How to transition from an L-1 Visa to a Green Card

L-2 EAD: How to obtain work authorization for L-1 Visa Dependents

Announcing the Cash Flow Underwriting Summit: a first-of-its-kind executive summit dedicated to exploring and advancing the practice of cash flow underwriting in consumer lending.